Ever fantasised about Francesco Mazzei’s famous Grana Padana doughnuts 24 hours a day? Not just us then.. well now you can make them for yourselves and eat them whenever you like!
Or why not indulge in he real deal and head over to Fiume.
Makes 10 doughnuts
FOR THE DOUGH
• 200g flour • 400ml whole milk • 200g butter • 10 eggs, beaten • 50g Grana Padano PDO cheese (9 months), grated
FOR THE GRANA PADANO PDO CHEESE MAYONNAISE
• 150g egg yolk • 500g extra virgin olive oil • 20g truffle shavings • 60ml white wine vinegar • 50g Grana Padano PDO cheese (+16 months), grated • Salt and pepper, to taste
FOR THE GARNISH
• 100g breadcrumbs • 10ml extra virgin olive oil • 10g paprika • Salt and pepper, to taste • 5g black truffle, grated • 5g Grana Padano PDO Riserva cheese
Place the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat until it has fully melted, then add the milk
2. Once the milk has come to the boil, add the flour and mix vigorously with a wooden spoon, ensuring the mixture is smooth, with no lumps
3. Once the mixture resembles a dough-like texture and is no longer sticking to the bottom of the pan, transfer the mixture into a container and leave to rest for 10 minutes
4. While the dough is still hot, gradually add the beaten eggs, ensuring that the egg is fully incorporated into the mixture before adding more
5. Add the grated Grana Padano PDO cheese and mix well
6. In the meantime, heat a pan of vegetable oil for frying the doughnuts
7. Draw the doughnut ring shape on a piece of grease proof paper using a pencil, using one piece of paper per doughnut
8. Pipe the doughnut mixture onto the grease-proof paper following the template to create a ring
9. Once they have all been piped into shape, place them one at a time into the hot oil with the dough submerged and the paper facing upwards
10. Ladle hot oil onto the paper, using a spoon. The grease proof paper will then de-attach from the doughnut, leaving a perfectly formed ring shape
11. Cook each doughnut in the oil for 10-15 minutes, once cooked, remove and place on a cloth to cool
The countdown to Christmas is on! We are thrilled to be taking reservations from Wednesday 2nd December so click here to book your table.
We can’t wait to welcome you back and celebrate the festive season in true D&D style.
In the meantime, experience some of our restaurants delivered directly to your front door. Click here to explore our delivery menus in partnership with Deliveroo and Supper.
Or explore our D&D home kits here.