For 20 crepes
Ingredients for pancake mix:
– 250gr of plain flour
– 4 eggs
– 40gr of butter
– 50cl semi-skimmed milk
– 1pinch of salt
Ingredient for the Suzette mix
– 100gr of soft butter
– 50gr of granulated sugar
– 1 lemon
– 1 orange
– 4cl of Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, flour and sugar and add a third of the milk. Whisk until smooth, gradually stirring in the rest of the milk
- Add a pinch of salt and allow the pancake mix to rest for an hour.
- Heat a large pan over a high heat and once it is scorching hot, turn down to a medium heat. Add a litte melted butter to coat the base of the pan. Pour the crêpe mix into the pan so it just about covers the base of the pan. As soon as the batter reaches the base, tip the pan from side to side and cook until the batter is golden.
- Flip the crêpe over and cook for just a few seconds longer.
- Repeat this process for all of the crêpes and keep warm –
- For the sauce, Put the sugar in the frying pan until caramelised add the juice and zest of the orange and lemon add the butter.
- Then place the first crêpes in the pan and give it time to warm through before folding it in half and then in half again to make a triangular shape. Slide this onto the very edge of the pan, tilt the pan slightly so the sauce runs back into the centre, then add the next crêpe. Continue like this until they’re all re-heated, folded and well soaked with the sauce.
- You can flame them at this point if you like. Heat a ladle by holding it over a gas flame or by resting it on the edge of a hotplate, then, away from the heat, pour the Grand Marnier into it, return it to the heat to warm the spirit, then set light to it.
Head to Coq d’Argent for the real deal.